Monday 12 March 2012

One man can't change the world

I listened to a great sermon recently, but this one phrase really caught my attention. He asked the question "how many people does it take to change the world?" In unison, the audience said "one", to which he agreed.

But this got me thinking, firstly is this true, and secondly is this how God wants it to be? Often you'll hear "well, Jesus changed the world". Whilst this is true, He wasn't alone. He never started His ministry until the Holy Spirit came on Him. Then in John 5:19, it says He only does what He sees the Father doing. So, throughout Jesus' ministry the whole Godhead was involved.

If we take a look back even further than Jesus to the garden of Eden, we see this even more clearly. In Genesis 1:1 it says "in the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth." The Hebrew word for God here, Elohim, is a plural and so even in creation, the whole of the trinity was involved.

The garden of Eden is Gods original intention for mankind. Here God laid out exactly man's mission and purpose. Though I think I'll write another blog later to explain this more fully, what is really key here is what God said after He created man. In Genesis 2:18 it says 'Then the Lord God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him."' It's not good for man to be alone. He will never be happy or fulfilled or able to acheive as much on his own as he can in a team.

Seeing as this is my first blog, I'm not quite sure how to end it as there's tons more that could be said on the subject of team. But I think that I will end with this; whilst it might be possible for one man to change the world, it was never Gods intention and will be much harder by yourself.

2 comments: